I wanted to make the top because when we go on walks she collects rocks and flowers and stuffs them into my pockets. Now, she can carry them in hers.
The fabric is the 2013 DS Quilts Collection from Jo-Ann’s. I made the bias tape with a fat quarter from my stash. It’s a really, really light blue floral on white background.
This top was even more of a challenge for me because while it all started out beautifully, the serger chomped and ate about an inch off the bodice.
There was some screaming and frustration involved, but ultimately it was a good lesson for me. I decided to keep going. I figured if it wasn’t going to fit my 3 year old, then I could give it to my 1 year old! (Note: I made the size 4.)
It was quite exciting for me to use my sewing machine to make buttonholes and sew them on! I think with a bit more practice, next time I can actually get it all to line up better!
But, with my crazy adjustments just being able to finish was a relief. It was an even bigger relief to see that it fit my daughter!
The nicest part is that once the top was on, it looked pretty good. You know, as long as you weren’t looking too closely!
I have the Round Neck A-line Dress fabric cut up and waiting for me. Let’s see what crazy adventure happens next attempting it!